In Singapore, both the employee and the employer have the right to terminate the employment contract.
There are 3 types of termination:
- Termination with notice
- Termination without notice
- Termination due to employee misconduct.
Type of termination
Termination with notice
• A written termination letter is mandatory
• The termination letter should serve the notice period
Termination without notice
• Termination without notice will require the payment of compensation in lieu of notice (“notice pay”).
Termination due to employee misconduct
• A serious disciplinary action that should be carefully considered
• Examples include theft, dishonesty, disorderly or immoral conduct at work and insubordination.
• Employers must conduct a formal inquiry before taking any disciplinary action.
During probationary period
After confirmation of employment