How to Become a Singaporean Permanent Resident (PR)
For a foreigner working in Singapore, Singapore Permanent Resident (PR) status lets you live and work in Singapore without visa restrictions, and you do not need to acquire new work visas.
3 Types of PR schemes
Permanent Residency is categorized into 3 different schemes.
Type of PR
Who it is for
Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Worker Scheme (PTS)
For foreign professionals who are already living and working in Singapore (Most common)
Global Investor Programme (GIP)
Aimed at foreign investors who can invest S$2.5 million into the Singapore economy
Foreign Artistic Scheme
For acclaimed artists in fields such as photography, dance, music, theatre, literature or film
The Application Process
- You can only apply for PR via ICA’s eService.
- Applying for PR often requires an exhaustive list of documents. You can check the PR application checklist made by ICA.
- Once it is completed, you will be scheduled for an appointment at the ICA building for interview and submission of documents.
- Application of Permanent Residency takes 4 to 6 months to process.
How is my application assessed?
Singapore’s Immigration and Customs Agency (ICA) adopts a Points System to assess PR eligibility. Applicants will be graded points based on the following factors:
- Duration of stay in Singapore
- Marital status
- Academic qualification (a reputable institute is preferred)
- Basic monthly salary
- Age (preferably 50 years and below)
- Kinship ties in Singapore (having family members from Singapore)
Other factors, such as criminal records, contributions to charity organizations are also considered, although they are not part of the point system criteria.