What is Employment Act?
The Employment Act is Singapore’s main labour law. It provides for the basic terms and conditions at work for employees covered by the Act.
Who does Employment Act apply to?
- An employee working under a contract of service with an employer is covered under Employment Act.
- It covers local and foreign employees.
However, you are not covered if you are employed as a:
- Domestic worker
- Statutory board employee or civil servant
Who is covered under Part IV?
The Part IV of the Employment Act provides regulations on: rest days, hours of work and other conditions of service.
According to MOM, Part IV only applies to:
- A workman (doing manual labour) earning a basic monthly salary of not more than $4,500.
- An employee who is not a workman, but who is covered by the Employment Act and earns a monthly basic salary of not more than $2,600.