Internship and Student Visas

University interns can be a great source of up-and-coming talent when you’re looking for more hands to help grow the business.

International students studying in a Singapore university will still need an appropriate visa to work, and the two main types are:

  • The Work Holiday Pass
  • The Student Pass

Work Holiday Pass (WHP)

The Work Holiday Pass allows qualified foreign students to intern in Singapore for a period of up to 6 months (or 12 months if the student is from Australia). 

In order for a candidate to apply for a Work Holiday Pass, the intern should be:

  • Aged 18 to 25
  • Undergraduate or graduate of a university in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, United Kingdom or the United States

Student Pass

If your candidate is not suitable for a Work Holiday Pass, you may still hire your intern if they have a Student Pass.

They would have to meet all the requirements listed below for them to be eligible to work in Singapore:

  • Full-time matriculated or registered student in one of the approved schools (primarily Singapore-based international schools, universities and polytechnics)
  • Hold a Student Pass issued by the Immigration of Checkpoints Authority (ICA)
Once they have completed their studies and their Student Pass expires, you would have to apply a Work Permit for them if you would still want the intern to be working in your company.

Did this answer your question?